Transfer Credit Policy

Colorado Heights University reserves the right to accept or deny transfer credit from any institution. Grades and GPAs do not transfer. Transfer credits do not count toward the CHU grade point average but are included in credits attempted and earned per the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy (i.e., grades and GPAs do not transfer.) An official transcript from each institution for which transfer of credit is being requested must be submitted. Enrollment status is required for a CHU Transfer of Credit Evaluation.

Bachelor's Degree Programs Master's Degree Programs
Intensive English Programs

Guidelines for Transfer

Courses are transferable if they meet the following criteria and are applicable to the program plan of study:

  • Earned from an accredited college or university recognized by U.S. Department of Education.

  • Credit for approved International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations at the higher level with a score of 4 or better. An IB certificate or diploma must be submitted directly to the Office of the Registrar by the International Baccalaureate Organization for evaluation.

  • Credit by Advanced Placement (AP) examination with a minimum score of 3 or better.

  • Quarter hours are converted to semester hours by multiplying the quarter hours by .67 to get the equivalent credit hour conversion.

  • Courses approved for transfer must be equivalent to 3 U.S. semester credit hours.

  • All requests for transfer credit, including transcripts and evaluation, must be submitted prior to the completion of the first semester.

Undergraduate Transfer Credit

CHU considers transfer credit for courses that closely align with the courses in the CHU undergraduate and certificate programs without jeopardizing the integrity of the program. The residency requirement for CHU undergraduate degree programs is 35 credit hours. Only courses with an earned grade of C or better are considered for transfer credit.

Graduate Transfer Credit

CHU considers transfer credit for courses that closely align with the courses in the graduate programs without jeopardizing the integrity of the programs. The residency requirement for CHU graduate programs is 27 credit hours. Only courses with an earned grade of B- or better are considered for transfer credit.

International Transfer Credit

CHU accepts international academic credit towards its degree programs for relevant coursework at accredited institutions or their foreign equivalent. CHU follows NAFSA's "A Guide to Educational Systems around the World," edited by Shelley Feagles or "AACRAO EDGE." International students are required to order official transcripts and translations as required by the Academics Office. To receive credits for courses or degrees from institutions outside the U.S., Canada or U.S. territories, the student must have academic transcripts evaluated and certified by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or Association of International Credential Evaluators member organization, which will assess a fee. The official evaluation should be sent directly from the evaluator to Colorado Heights University. Student Affairs recommends that students requesting transfer of credit provide a course-by-course equivalency valuation of their transcripts when applying to CHU for the graduate degree programs.

Military Transfer Credit

Credit for military schooling is evaluated upon receipt of Form DD214, Service Separation Certificate or the Sailor/Marine American Council on Edwardian Registry Transcript (SMART). Only work that has received an upper-division baccalaureate recommendation by the American Council on Education (ACE) is awarded credit. This work, however, is transferred and recorded at the lower-division level.

Coursework That Will Not Transfer

The following coursework will not count toward a degree at CHU:

  • Courses identified by CHU as remedial, audited, and/or non-credit

  • Credits earned for work experience or through a cooperative education program

  • Capstone Credits

  • Internship Credits

Transferring Colorado Heights Credits to Other Institutions

Colorado Heights University credits are not universally transferrable. Receiving institutions reserve the right to accept or deny another school's credits. Students seeking to transfer credits from Colorado Heights University to other colleges and universities should contact the admission department at those schools to determine if they will accept Colorado Heights University's credits.

Articulation Relationships

Articulation relationships are formal agreements with and between colleges and/or universities to accept credits earned. While other colleges may accept Colorado Heights University's credits on a case by case basis, CHU has four formal articulation agreements with the following institutions:

Upon request, CHU will provide any student with details regarding active articulation agreements with other schools.

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office at CHU helps students with the process of applying for federal student financial aid, and provides guidance, resources and advice from enrollment to graduation and beyond. Colorado Heights University recognizes that in many instances individuals and their families are unable to meet the entire cost of education. CHU is eligible to participate in the Federal Department of Education Title IV Programs and offers a limited amount of institutional scholarships and grants. (See CHU Scholarships & Grants section of catalog).

The Federal Pell Grant Program

This program provides need-based grants to low income undergraduate students. This money does not have to be repaid.

Federal Direct Student Loans

These loans provide money that students borrow for school and repay with interest. Even with scholarships, grants and savings, many students need to borrow additional money to pay for their education.

Subsidized Direct Loans

These loans are for students attending school at least half-time with demonstrated financial need. Interest is not charged while a student is in school and during deferment periods.

Unsubsidized Direct Loans

These loans are non-need based and interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during deferment periods.

Direct PLUS Loans (Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS))

These loans are for parents of dependent students and for graduate students and interest is charged during all periods. Parents must apply and pass a credit check to qualify.

Students and parents can consult office@ch.university of the Financial Aid Office for more information.